Skin cancer is the independent growth of irregular skin cells. It occurs when unrepaired DNA harm to skin cells (most often caused by ultraviolet radiation from the sunshine or tanning beds) triggers mutations, or genetic defects, that lead the skin cells to increase rapidly and form deadly tumors.
How do you recognize skin cancer?
The most common indication for skin cancer is a change in the skin, such as a rough spot that does not leave, a small wound that does not heal or a change in the color or size of an already existing skin abnormality. Not all types of skin cancer express itself in the same way. Sometimes a waxy, pale, smooth, shiny bump. In other cases, creates a firm red lump which sometimes may bleed or may form a crust.
Types of skin cancer
1- Melanoma and non-melanoma
Broadly speaking, skin cancer divided into so-called melanomas (malignant moles) and non-melanomas. In the film of this cancer different types are discussed below on this page by a dermatologist. Of the non-melanomas are basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, the most relevant forms. These two types of skin cancers arise from the cells of the epidermis itself. Together they constitute about 90 percent of all skin tumors. In the remaining 10 percent, there is a melanoma. This kind of sthis cancer appears from the pigment cells in the epidermis.
2- Actinic keratosis
In addition to the number of patients with this cancer, so does the number of people with early stages of it. This is called pre-stage of squamous cell carcinoma, and actinic keratosis is a sunlight damage to the skin. These precancerous skin cancers are known as deviations premalignant.
On this site, you will find extensive information about the different types of this cancer and precancerous skin cancer. A film about types of skin cancer in the movie below discusses the various types of skin cancer? Click on the gray icon to view the video.
3- Basal cell carcinoma
Basal cell carcinoma is the form of form of it that rarely metastasizes and therefore is rarely life threatening. It is the familiar general form of this cancer. Basal cell carcinoma comprises approximately 70% of all new cases of skin cancer. This type of skin cancer is most prevalent in personalities aged 45 years and older. But younger people can get a basal cell carcinoma.
4- Squamous cell carcinoma
Squamous cell carcinoma is a form of this cancer is malignant. This kind of skin cancer arises in the epidermis and can sometimes spread to the lymph nodes and other organs.
Risk of skin cancer
– Anyone can get skin cancer. But there are factors known to increase the possibility of skin cancer markedly. The main risk factors for skin cancer at a glance:
– Overexposure to the sun is seen as the primary cause for the development of this cancer. But also UV radiation from sunbeds is dangerous! The UV radiation from the sun and tanning should be added together.
– Who as a child has not been much in the sun, are more likely to develop basal cell carcinoma later in life? The higher the UV exposure, the greater the risk.
– The number of times a person burns. Every time you (as a child or as an adult) burns, the likelihood that you’ll get it.
– Those with fair skin (skin type I and II) are naturally sensitive to UV-radiation. If you have this skin type, the sun is more harmful to you than for other people. Want to know if you have an enhanced danger of skin cancer? Then do the self-test skin type.
– People over fifty are at higher risk of getting it Basal cell carcinoma, and squamous cell carcinoma is therefore especially seen from fifty years. A melanoma may otherwise occur at a younger age.
Do you then you run many moles (more than fifty) a higher risk of developing melanoma.
Some skin cancers are hereditary.
When you work out a lot or have lived in the tropics, you have a greater chance of getting it.
If you are receiving prescriptions that suppress the immune system, for example after an organ transplant.
What causes skin cancer?
In maximum States, it is the result of too much exposure to UV radiation. This UV radiation occurs naturally in sunlight. Furthermore, ultraviolet is artificially generated in solar equipment as tanning beds, sunlamps, and solariums. If the skin is exposed too often and too long to UV radiation can damage the skin cells. In the long run, this cancer can result. In addition to the amount of UV rays that catches your skin during your lifetime, the skin type also plays a role. People with fair skin that burn easily in the sun have to develop a greater risk of skin cancer than dark individuals with a lot of pigment in their skin.